Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN)
at Girlington Primary School
At Girlington Primary School we recognise that the development of speech, language and communication skills is a fundamental part of a child’s development. We are an accredited ELKLAN Communication Friendly Setting (CFS) and staff have been trained in communication and language development. This training and support is reviewed as part the schools monitoring and evaluation cycle. The whole school staff have been trained by the SENDCo who is a Lead Communication Practioner.
In addition, we commission a speech and language therapist. His name is James Beattie and he works in school every Thursday. He works very closely with the SENDCo to ensure that the needs of pupils with speech, language and communication needs are met across the school. There are a number of ways in which James works with the school and the staff including;
- Contributing to the development of skills and competency of staff and how to support the children with their speech and language needs.
- Liaising with parents as appropriate
- The diagnosis and assessment of specific communication difficulties to inform intervention planning
- Facilitating therapy programmes, including speech, language and communication groups
- Providing therapy for identified children
- Developing intervention plans and monitoring targets
- Promoting strategies to support all children with their speech and language development
- Liaising with education and other health professionals
Liz Carman is a speech and language therapy assistant who works alongside James. She carries out the WELLCOMM intervention in EYFS. The aim is to promote and develop communication skills in all children. Liz monitors and supports the intervention programmes once they are in place.